Re: Differential incremental backups

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_epicadvertising.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:05:02 -0500

First, you said differential incremental backup. I believe differential and incremental are exclusive to each other if I am not wrong.

Now assuming incremental, you use the monday full backup and all incrementals up to Thursday.

If its differential, you use the full backup and the last differential backup, which is Thursday

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wed Mar 17 23:57:28 2010
Subject: Differential incremental backups

Hello

I take a base backup on Sunday and take differential incremental backups every night and I want to perform recovery on Friday. Will I be able to apply backups up to Wednesday night SCN and open the database ? Or will I be forced to apply all the incremental backups upto Thursday night before I can do open reset logs?

Orlando.