Re: wield ORA-01555 error???

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:46:39 -0700

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM, David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>  wrote:

> Please read here:
>
> http://oratips-ddf.blogspot.com/2008/02/dreaded-ora-01555.html

One thing of interest that this blog brought back to mind: It is entirely possible to fetch across commits in a loop and issue updates on the rows fetched, without worrying about getting an ORA-1555.

Here's an example from the docs:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/appdev.111/b28370/static.htm#sthref829

Scroll down to the bit on "Fetching Across Commits"

This may not be something you always want to do, but there are circumstances that require it. I've used it in production code where the circumstances did require it, though I didn't commit after every update.

We did some testing to find what we thought an ideal number of updates before a commit was issued, and no, I no longer remember what that number was.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com