Re: Database accidentally left in backup mode

From: Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:11:14 -0700

Ok, I found the error - my flash recovery area had reached the max size specified in db_recovery_file_dest_size, so it's failing even though there is plenty of disk space. The short-term fix is to increase that value, but I also want to think longer term here.

At this point in time I don't really need those archive log files to stick around very long, so I don't want to waste the disk space on them. I know they're needed for recovery if the system crashes, but since I'm taking a hot backup every night, once that is completed I don't need the old archive log files anymore. Since they clearly pile up fast, I need some kind of strategy to prune them. Unfortunately, all I can find online is "use RMAN". Ok, I'll get there, but it's not going to be this week. Plus that strategy seems to be to use RMAN to back up and then delete the files, but I don't need to back them up. Any better suggestions? Preferably something I can script?

thanks,

janine

On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:59 PM, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> Your log_archive_dest_n is full, or the archiver is  not working for some other reason.  Everything will work again when you clear space for the archivelogs.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremiah Wilton
> Blue Gecko, Inc.
>
> On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:
>

>> I've now tried ending the backup on each tablespace manually and they all hang, so clearly something is holding up the show. I looked at waits but I don't see anything directly about control files - a little Googling tells me that the log file switch errors probably mean my redo log is too small, but no indication that that would cause this problem. Am I missing something?
>>
>> SQL> select sid, event, seconds_in_wait from v$session_wait;
>>
>> SID EVENT
>> ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> SECONDS_IN_WAIT
>> ---------------