Re: How to troubleshoot heavy RAM consumption

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:57:21 -0800

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Neil Kodner <nkodner_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. As an aside, while we're having memory/paging issues, is there a
> good way to tell if our SGA is in fact too large? One of the challenges
> that we face is that one of the heavier-used applications does not use
> prepared statements and that has the potential to pollute the shared pool.
> We enable cursor-sharing at the session level for these users.

In general I would think the SGA too large if there were more free memory available at peak periods than need be.

select *
from v$sgastat
where name = 'free memory'
order by upper(name)
/

The 'need be' is the hard part. I personally don't have to go through this kind of exercise very often.

If I had allocated 12 gig for an SGA and consistently had 2 gig free I would certainly consider distributing some of that elsewhere.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com