Re: ASM versus Filesystems

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:10:08 +0000

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:44 PM, patrick obrien <po04541_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Oracle Admins,
>
> I've been an AIX Admin for years, I'm a junior Oracle DBA and I apologize
> if the ASM Topic has come up lately. As an AIX Admin, using filesystems
> seems the best option for me.

Hi,

I'm not a AIX admin but every filesystem is additional layer to manage and can limit performance.
ASM is running on raw devices - database processes are performing any IO directly on disks without additional OS buffering.

Of course from management point of view there are still some missing points in ASM:

- snapshots on group level
- adding / deleting mirroring on fly
- etc.

The best way is to setup both DB with and without ASM and just compare from performance, backup and management point of view and choose the best for you.

regards,
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com/