Per Docs, cursor_sharing=exact|similar disables stored outlines, but my tests show otherwise.

From: FMHabash <fmhabash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 08:50:01 -0500

Hi all,
For those who have implemented SO's or have a good experience with them, the docs say that this cursor_SHARING settings will disable the use of stored outlines UNLESS they were created using create_stored_outlines parameter. In my testing, outlines created using this parameter or using dbms_outlns.create_stored_outline behaved identically where the target sql was forced to use the outline consistently as expected. Of course, cursor_sharING is set to exact.
  1. has this restriction been removed on >= 10g?
  2. Also, matching a sql to an outlined one was relaxed in >= 9i since the sql text gets normalized for spaces and casing. If this is the case, an outline created for sql hash sould be used for all children even though it was created based on a specific child? Does anyone disagree and why? Thanks. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l