Rebuilding partioned indexes

From: Saad Khan <>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:16:04 -0500

Hi folks,

The environment is Oracle 10gR2 ( on SUSE linux 10.

Please ignore my lack of knowledge with the partitions and its handling. We've a big bunch of tables with both partitioned and subpartitioned indexes. And some of them were in the state of N/A as part of ETL process which failed due to some reason. So I tried to rebuild the partitioned indexes but came across the error ora-14827:cannot rebuild a partition of a composite range partitioned index.

I rebuilt the entire subpartitions and I can see from

user_ind_subpartitions, they are all in USABLE state but the status in
user_ind_partitions is still showing N/A and same status is from
user_indexes for the indexes that were unusable earlier. Is this a normal
behavior for partitioned indexes? or do I need to rebuild partitioned indexes in some other way? Thanks for the help.