Re: parallel hint

From: girlgeek <girlgeek_at_live.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:13:36 -0800

Ric,
Thank you for the explanation. I had always wondered about something that I saw at a prior shop. Someone had used a parallel hint without degree and managed to get 57 parallel processes running, (mostly fighting) on a 12 cpu box. If the table was defined as parallel without a degree, the documentation says that Oracle defines that the degree of parallelism to use is the number of cpu times the value in the init parameter parallel_threads_per_cpu. I didn't check at the time, but I assume that they must have set the init parameter parallel_threads_per_cpu to 4. There are a few extra processes not explained by that logic, but I no longer have access to that particular box to research further.

Thanks again,
Claudia