Re: Script to automate AWR reports (not snapshots)

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 06:59:57 +0800

Sandra,

   What information are you trying to track in AWR report? What metrics do you use or does your management use to evaluate performance? Performance can be evaluated many different ways with AWR but the biggest issue is that AWR report just averages out the metrics in the report period, which by default is an hour. Running AWR faster than once an hour was deemed too resource intensive to release as the default.

   I find it much easier to use ASH for performance reporting. ASH tracks the load in the database and can be rolled up in an aggregated metric called Average Active Sessions (AAS). AAS can be broken down into it's components such as CPU demand, IO wait time or other wait times such as application (locking) , configuration (that kind of stuff the DBA is responsible for) or concurrency bottlenecks to easily see not only what the load was but what kind of load was on the database.
  ASH and AAS can most easily seen in OEM's performance page. The performance page works best for viewing the current activity including the last hour as well but can be difficult to use for viewing a time frame over the past day or week. For that reason I've been working on DB Optimizer<http://sites.google.com/site/embtdbo/wait-event-documentation/database-tuning> as well has putting together some SQL
scripts<http://sites.google.com/site/embtdbo/wait-event-documentation/ash---active-session-history#TOC-Data-Mining-Scripts>to help quickly browse the ASH data and see any periods that might have had
issues.

Best Wishes
Kyle Hailey