RE: flash it back then roll it forward(pitr)

From: patrick obrien <po04541_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:06:26 -0800 (PST)

Lee,
I had to do a reset unless I wanted to use a backup control file which, I did not want to go there...

SQL> FLASHBACK DATABASE TO TIMESTAMP timestamp'2010-03-02 10:13:40';

Flashback complete.

SQL> alter database open;
alter database open
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01589: must use RESETLOGS or NORESETLOGS option for database open

SQL> alter database open noresetlogs;
alter database open noresetlogs
*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01610: recovery using the BACKUP CONTROLFILE option must be done

SQL> alter database open resetlogs;

Database altered.

  • On Wed, 3/3/10, Robertson Lee - lerobe <Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com> wrote:

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <Lee.Robertson_at_acxiom.com> Subject: RE: flash it back then roll it forward(pitr) To: pobrien_at_controller.state.nv.us, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 9:16 AM

#yiv1207707091 p.MsoNormal {margin-left:3.0pt;} I am thinking you shouldn’t have issued your resetlogs, however my knowledge of flashback stuff is limited to say the least L  ?? From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Patrick O'Brien Sent: 03 March 2010 16:42
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: flash it back then roll it forward(pitr)   Jason, Good to know about the flash forward until; thanks!

What commands/processes did you use?
This is what I did and I had problems. Any thoughts?

Shutdown immediate;
startup mount;
FLASHBACK DATABASE TO TIMESTAMP timestamp'2010-03-01 09:41:49'; alter database open resetlogs;

SQL> RECOVER database until time '2010-03-01:09:42:38'; ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors ORA-19907: recovery time or SCN does not belong to recovered incarnation

  • On Wed, 3/3/10, jason arneil <jason.arneil_at_gmail.com> wrote: From: jason arneil <jason.arneil_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: flash it back then roll it forward(pitr) To: pobrien_at_controller.state.nv.us Cc: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010, 8:02 AM Hello Patrick,

Been testing flashback a bit recently so when I saw your email thought I would test. Tested this with 10.2.0.4 on linux, and yep you definitely can flashback and then roll forward, I did a recover database until change to roll forwards again.

As Freek pointed to open read-write a flashed back database you need a resetlogs, but of course you can open read-only without this.

Once you have flashed back you can even use flashback database to "flash forward" and undo your flashback.

jason.

--
http://jarneil.wordpress.com

On 3 March 2010 15:29, Patrick O'Brien <pobrien_at_controller.state.nv.us> wrote:

> Hello Oracle users,

> is it possible to flashback a database then turn around and roll it
forward

> using a pitr process?

> thank you!

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.