Re: catsearch and latch: cache buffers chains waits

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:41:12 -0500

thanks for the responses. So for the delayed responses... been out of the office.

The problem isn't the latch waits. The problem is that the latch waits are caused by the CATSEARCH query being executed for each row in a table. I can see this by running a 10046 trace, doing a tail -f on the 10046 trace and seeing that the catsearch trace runs over and over again.

I kill the query part way through it and then I do a grep and wc -l to count the number of executions of the CATSEARCH query and it was into the millions.

These re-execution of the CATSEARCH for what appears to be EVERY row in one of my tables appears to be what is causing the latching. Since I get the latch wait while the constant fetching is occurring. This appears to be extremely inefficient. It appears to work like a typical user created function in where clause. So it executes for each row.

For the guy who talked about the settings of the domain index. I don't know alot about domain indexes. What are you referring to?