RE: dbms_system - set a string parameter in another session?

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:14:18 -0500

Hi Jared,

Yep, you're missing something....and that would be a way to set a string parameter in another session. We're all missing it... :)

I've seen this discussed a number of times over the years. To my knowledge, there's still no satisfactory solution, through 11.2.

From: [] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 3:10 PM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: dbms_system - set a string parameter in another session?

I feel like I am missing something when I look at dbms_system.

There are routines for setting integer and boolean parameter values in another session: dbms_system.set_bool_param_in_session

What about setting string values?

For instance, I would like to do the equivalent of this in another users session:

   ALTER SESSION SET use_stored_outlines=CIM_TUNE

but via dbms_system when the user logs on, or dynamically.

I know I can use execute immediate in a trigger, but that does not help with changing the value in a current session.

Any ideas?

Hopefully this is not a D'Oh! moment. :)

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: Home Page: