Re: Script to Document a Database

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:20:53 -0200

Well... the answers would be:
  1. Who knows? But keep in mind that MOST databases have their TEST and DEV environments... so in reality that would be about 700 different applications (not counting the SAP instances). The interesting thing is that they are spread around the world, so many of the applications are duplicated and have data of a different location. The company itself has a lot more databases, 2000 is just the (estimate) number of DBs for which they outsource DBA services.
  2. Very poorly indeed. Pointless downtimes, unrecoverable databases, poor backups and not a whole lot of information. Basically... it's a big mess. That is why I want to start documenting... you need to know what you have in order to decide what to change.
  3. A very large global company dedicated to non-IT stuff.
  4. About 60 vith various degrees of expertise, though most are juniors.
  5. NMP (Not My Problem), so I really don't know... Alan.-