Re: Script to Document a Database

From: <japplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:34:13 -0600

Whoa! Surely that's a type and you meant 20 or 200, not 2000 databases!

If it's truly 2000 databases, I'd be more interested in:

1. Why so dang many?
2. How do you even manage to manage so many?
3. What's your User and/or Developer community that they require so many?
4. How many DBAs are in your group?
5. How much does your company spend on licensing and maintenance fees each
year?

I bet #5 is a BIG number!

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>

To:     hostetter.jay_at_gmail.com
Cc:     oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date:   02/25/2010 04:28 PM
Subject:        Re: Script to Document a Database
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

I know I should investigate a little before posting this, but my situation is I have about 2000 Databases in various platforms and following various different standards (when they follow a standard at all). So I would like to be able to gather all this information into a single centralized web repository (perhaps even a database). Does any of these tool provide this capability?
Alan.-

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay_at_gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for all of the replies.

Jeff Hunter's script is similar to my script, except it goes into much more detail and uses HTML (which I easily added with "set markup html on").

Jay

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote: +1 for OraSnap.

I've been running it once per week for quite some time.

Pro: comprehensive information about your databases

Con: some rather intensive queries - run it at the slowest periods for the database.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com