Re: Faster selecting tablespace fill level

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:37:59 +0100

Martin,

    Generally speaking, whenever you have performance isues with DBA views, the best thing to do is to check in the catalog script how they were defined, peek into sql.bsq, which is fortunately very well commented, to get a better understanding of the underlying tables, and to rewrite your queries from scratch. The problem with DBA_ views is that they are mega joins, which becomes a problem when you join one DBA view to another (usually on unindexed columns) or aggregate them enthusiastically. In your case, start with SYS.SEG$, aggregate by ts# and join on SYS.TS$ when you have all your figures, not before, and you should be happy with performance.

Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>
RoughSea Channel on Youtube <http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsealtd>