RE: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:50:20 -0500

Robert,

I don't agree that Window is evil. I seen problems with Windows NT (mostly memory leak related) but after handling Oracle databases on Windows 2000 or newer version, it is quite stable. However it depends on SA of Windows server how competent they are to configure and handle Windows server.

I am mostly supporting Oracle databases of various versions on HP, RedHat Linux and Windows and did not find serious issues with Windows 2000+ servers. Although it is not a preferred environment but due vendor requirements for their application (specially for pharmceutical industry which needs validated application/databases) we need to put Oracle databases on Windows 2000/2003 servers.

Regards

Rafiq

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:05:10 -0800
From: robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com
Subject: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Anyone want to jump in on their preferred platform for RAC? Personally I tend to lean towards Linux for stability purposes, but I'd like your thoughts on why you prefer either platform for RAC. Specifically why would you avoid windows (other than the fact that it's evil), or would you?

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Master Principle Consultant, Oracle Corporation Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/