RE: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:45:47 -0500

True, but in my case I deal with multi-terabyte databases that can take 8-16 hours to backup via RMAN with a single stream to disk. Moving to 4 or 8, or even 32 streams can cut this time dramatically- in this case down to 90 minutes. This was very true on a Sun T5220 that had a small user base (data warehouse) but a large database, using RMAN to disk.

Like anything, "it depends" is the correct answer here :) Interesting enough I have never used the disk staging facility of Netbackup, but I hear good things about it.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Crisler, Jon

If you must have RAC, then also consider Oracle RAC Standard Edition (as opposed to Enterprise).
. . .
Just make sure you can live without the certain features it omits- for large databases just the fact that RMAN is limited to a single stream can be a deal-breaker.