RE: ASM on SAN

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:28:07 -0500

Martin

Review this

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAoQFjAA&url= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracleracsig.org%2Fpls%2Fapex%2FZ%3Fp_url%3DRAC_SIG.dow nload_my_file%3Fp_file%3D1002854%26p_id%3D1002854%26p_cat%3Ddocuments&rc t=j&q=%2Basm+questions+afraid+to+ask&ei=ka-CS_VFhJjwBr6E6YEF&usg=AFQjCNE aVBpprdbVQdwwcQ8K8z52TfVtSQ&sig2=qie1VGwgo2Lvv-Lf8ln0Ew

This is a very nice presentation from Nitin on ASM and clearly mentions using an AU of 4M and talks about the note that you mentioned. If ORACLE has now backtracked from this I can't say

Quote "For all 11g ASM/DB users, it best to create a disk group using 4 MB ASM AU size. Metalink Note 810484.1 covers this" - slide 15

  • Rajendra Pande -----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Martin Bach Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 11:18 AM To: greg_at_structureddata.org Cc: cshapi_at_gmail.com; oracle-l Subject: Re: ASM on SAN

Hi Greg,

great reply, I second your approach. May I ask a question about the below paragraph please:

On 02/21/2010 10:23 PM, Greg Rahn wrote:
> The other thing is that most of the storage engineers (people that
> design this stuff) or performance engineers (people that perf test it)
> will tell you there is a sweet spot for the LUN size and
> characteristics. This varies from array to array, but I would seek
> out this information. It usually has to do with things like which
> drives are on what controllers and primary vs secondary IO paths, etc.

I remember a MOS document "Note 810484.1 "Recommendation for 4MB ASM Allocation Unit (AU) size for Oracle 11g" which seems to have disappeared when I tried to look it up is recommending au_size > 1MB. I found reference to it under the exadata best practices but I wondered when you'd set the AU_SIZE to a non-default value.

Our system here isn't too large, 2.5 TB, disk groups ctrllog VRAID 1 for online redo logs and control files, DATA for data (VRAID 5) and FRA with VRAID 5 as well. All ASM LUNs are 250G and use external redundancy. Unfortunately there is a severe lack of spindles and I would have preferred VRAID 1 for DATA but my comments about IO performance and checksum'd writes weren't listened to.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Bach
OCM 10g

Please do not transmit orders or instructions regarding a UBS
account electronically, including but not limited to e-mail,
fax, text or instant messaging. The information provided in
this e-mail or any attachments is not an official transaction
confirmation or account statement. For your protection, do not
include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card
numbers, passwords or other non-public information in your e-mail.
Because the information contained in this message may be privileged,
confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from disclosure,
please notify us immediately by replying to this message and
deleting it from your computer if you have received this
communication in error. Thank you.

UBS Financial Services Inc.
UBS Financial Services Incorporated of Puerto Rico
UBS AG

UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected
and accessed only in legally justified cases.