Re: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

From: Adam Musch <ahmusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:53:41 -0600

Compare the marginal cost of RAC for each systems to a realistic cost-of-downtime for each system -- include downtime for upgrades and server-level outages. My suspicion is that unless there's a hard-and-fast 24x7x365 availability requirement for a customer-facing revenue-generating system, RAC will be significantly more expensive than the alternative.

What's the cost differential between, say, an 8-core SMP machine with Oracle vs. 2 4-cores plus the marginal cost of RAC?

How much more is management willing to spend on human costs around RAC; RAC systems do require more effort to configure and manage; there's more stuff to do, and generally RAC-qualified DBAs cost more.

Also, a single-node RAC implementation will always be slower than a standard non-RAC implementation. Oracle's code path for single node RAC still has to go through all the global enqueue and global cache logic; the whole point of single-node RAC is to provide that sort of regresssion testing.

Even if RAC is free for all of your systems, it's still not free, and still not worth it.

--
Adam Musch
ahmusch_at_gmail.com