RE: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

From: D'Hooge Freek <>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:02:27 +0100

Following reasons springs to mind:

. Rac costs money. Not only for the licenses, but it also costs more time to maintain them (patching and stuff) and you need more experienced dba's to operate them (otherwise you would have more downtime due to human errors).

. Not all applications benefit from RAC, both in terms of high availability and scalability. If you have for instance an application which mainly focuses on 1 table (and doing full table scans on it), it will not scale on RAC.
Also, when your application can not cope with sessions being disconnected and restart on a different node (eg no support for fcf), then the high availability will be limited.

. The database is just not important

Freek D'Hooge
Oracle Database Administrator
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82

From: [] On Behalf Of Sent: maandag 22 februari 2010 13:52
Subject: Documentation for reasons to NOT use RAC?

I'm being pulled into a meeting later this morning to answer why we shouldn't put every db in RAC?  Any white papers etc, stating why its a bad idea?

thanks, joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Engineering & Administration Lead (Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"