Re: ASM on SAN

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:22:13 +0100

Use option 1, if you have redundancy in SAN then there is no point to use ASM mirroring. I have only used ASM redundancy once in a JBOD storage array and many times for extended clusters.

Use multiple LUNs since there are some parameters (at leats in Solaris) which can limit number of I/O requests to a LUN so if you have few LUNs you are actually lowering your S.O I/O throughput. Also as others already pointed out if you use a large LUN and you plan to follow ASM best practice then each time you want to grow you are increasing your ASM Disk Group size by two which can be a waste of space. I have implemented in a few customer two standard LUN sizes for small/middle and large databases.

Thanks

--
LSC