RE: redo curiosity

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:03:01 -0500

Very nice writeup, Gints.

http://gplivna.eu/papers/mat_views_search.htm

Allowing the create or replace syntax and the application of synonyms to things beyond just tables was one of the key things Oracle's VLDB group and Oracle agreed on way back in the early 1990's as an enhancement for scalability. I love to see people make good use of it.

With or without partitioning it can also be used to direct inserts into a particular segment, for example if analysis queries through yesterday are good enough, so that analysis queries do not compete with OLTP inserts.

The key is that once the previous query is resolved by name through the synonym, changing the synonym does not affect the running query, but you get a new parse for queries after the create or replace synonym.

As long as the change for the synonym is at a reasonable grain of time the parse storms are minimal but the ability to isolate "reader only" queries from the changing segments can really take a load off undo. And, as in the current case off redo as well.