Re: Use of Oracle Restart in 11.2

From: Robert Bialek <bialekr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:14:23 +0100

Hi Pete,

> But what about shutdown on a normal reboot? I followed the OBE
> instuctions and removed the rc script that would stop/start the database.
> Of course the database does a crash recovery. Does any one know if
> this is what Oracle Corp now expects to be done, that there is no (or
> at least very little) chance of there being a corruption in the
> database that cannot be recovered from, when the instance is still
> running when the server reboots?

The reason why the databases will not be shutdown during server reboot is that ohasd init script is
not creating a lock file in /var/lock/subsys/ during service startup. During server reboot or shutdown the directory /var/lock/subsys/ will be checked, and only services
for which a lock file exist will be cleanly stopped with init scripts. Remaining processes will be killed
by "kill -SIGTERM".

As a workaround include "touch /var/lock/subsys/ohasd" in the ohasd init script.

BTW: the same problem apply to Grid Infrastructure for cluster ...

Cheers,
Robert