Re: Use of Oracle Restart in 11.2

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:24:13 +0000

Hi Pete,

On 02/18/2010 01:09 PM, Peter Hitchman wrote:

> Hi List,

[...]
> But what about shutdown on a normal reboot? I followed the OBE
> instuctions and removed the rc script that would stop/start the database.
> Of course the database does a crash recovery. Does any one know if this
> is what Oracle Corp now expects to be done, that there is no (or at
> least very little) chance of there being a corruption in the database
> that cannot be recovered from, when the instance is still running when
> the server reboots?

I have made the same experience when running my test cases. Grid Infrastructure didn't seem to shut the database down when the server went down. Not a problem I thought-I'll simply shut it down myself: "srvctl stop database -d orcl". But when the server comes back up the database is in status OFFLINE OFFLINE. Not too great, but what we have right now is a good starting point-maybe a few PSUs down the line the feature will actually work and be usable :)

Regards,

Martin

--
Martin Bach