Re: Would you recommend such an application for production use?

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:12:17 -0600

I ran into this once several years ago at a previous job. We had actually deinstalled the software, but as it turns out, deinstallation did not remove the views that were installed (software was called Live Reorg). We were upgrading using the dbua, and it kept on crashing with ORA-600 errors. We had never installed the software in our Dev environment (licensing costs), so the problem didnt come up when we were upgrading DEV and QA environments. The production upgrade was a nightmare. So, if possible, make sure that the software deinstallation tool actually works properly also.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Adam Musch <ahmusch_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> The biggest difference there, from my own blessedly shortlived
> experience, is that if you're running SAP on Oracle, you go to SAP
> support first. SAP has threated to desupport companies for appling
> Oracle patches which they'd not vetted.
>
> However, SAP's support arm and install base is likely large enough to
> handle or merit such heavyhandedness. Heaven knows how big this
> medical application's support team is.
>
> I've shipped software that did require some elevated authorities --
> CREATE/ALTER ANY TABLE and selects against DBA* and V$ views. However,
> in the installation, all the "dictionary" grants were in a single
> script with justifications (including metalink document references)
> about why those grants were required. For example, we ran into a
> problem where user A's package can't issue a ALTER TABLE SPLIT
> PARTITION operation against user B's partitioned IOT, even if user A
> had alter rights against the table.
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Guillermo Alan Bort
> <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Same question... would you recommend SAP for production use... I
> guarantee,
> > SAP is a LOT more invasive to the DB than what you describe...
> >
> > Alan.-
> >

> --
> Adam Musch
> ahmusch_at_gmail.com