Re: Would you recommend such an application for production use?

From: Adam Musch <ahmusch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:46:11 -0600

The biggest difference there, from my own blessedly shortlived experience, is that if you're running SAP on Oracle, you go to SAP support first. SAP has threated to desupport companies for appling Oracle patches which they'd not vetted.

However, SAP's support arm and install base is likely large enough to handle or merit such heavyhandedness. Heaven knows how big this medical application's support team is.

I've shipped software that did require some elevated authorities -- CREATE/ALTER ANY TABLE and selects against DBA* and V$ views. However, in the installation, all the "dictionary" grants were in a single script with justifications (including metalink document references) about why those grants were required. For example, we ran into a problem where user A's package can't issue a ALTER TABLE SPLIT PARTITION operation against user B's partitioned IOT, even if user A had alter rights against the table.

--
Adam Musch
ahmusch_at_gmail.com