Re: ok for the last 18 yrs in using oracle I must have been asleep, "implied database link"

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:22:16 -0800

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>wrote:

> In my mind, if someone is doing such things in code, this is probably a bad
> practice. Also I'm not sure it's a great idea from a security point-of-view
> to allow such things. Anyone else have any thoughts here?

Personally I prefer explicitly created database links.

One reason for that is that when I see 'select * from dual_at_somedb' I can expect to
find the connection information in the data dictionary should I be troubleshooting
some issue with that SQL.

It's kind of like implicit conversions - I don't like those either, I always use to_number, to_date, etc, so maybe it's just me. But with explicit code I don't have to guess at what is happening based on some parameter setting.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com