RE: memory related problems

From: Gil Cota <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:14:09 -0000

Hi Helter,

That's because srvctl it routes commands through the root user , using sudo, as the root user does not have the HugePages configured,

that's why you are getting the swapping and stuff.

I got something similar but with the ulimits stuff , that my SO Admin limited the ulimit of root user, so every command with the srvctl didn't work.

Just a test, try to configure the HugePages in the root user as well.

oracle hard memlock 25176064

oracle soft memlock 25176064

root hard memlock 25176064

root soft memlock 25176064

I hope this will help,

From: Helter Skelter <> To: oracle-l <> Sent: Wed, February 17, 2010 10:26:30 PM Subject: memory related problems

I've got some strange memory related problems on my test environment.

Here is my configuration:

System memory 32GB

sga_max_size 24G

sga_target 24G

pre_page_sga TRUE

pga_aggregate_target 4G

kernel.shmmax = 25316935680

kernel.shmall = 12361785

vm.nr_hugepages = 12293

oracle hard memlock 25176064

oracle soft memlock 25176064

I've started oracle from sqlplus - everything works as expected:

             total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 32192 26620 5571 0 23 722

Swap: 20191 0 20191

HugePages_Total: 12293

HugePages_Free: 4

HugePages_Rsvd: 0

Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

Then, oracle autostart disabled ->reboot of server->sqlplus ->startup -> OK :)

But...I've enabled autostart (srvctl), restarted server and then problems appears - a lot of swapping, high server load, oracle processes psp, mman, lmon at 70-80% cpu and in the end:

Process MMAN died, see its trace file

USER: terminating instance due to error 443

after that I can with no problems start database with sqlplus, but when I stop it again and try start it with srvctl - the same...swappping, high load etc...

any ideas where is the problem ?