RAC, SELECT FOR UPDATE, connection pools

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:46:18 -0600

I'm wondering if I could get a little more detail about what Martin listed below:

'"select for update" as soon as a user modified data. This was in a connection pool... That obviously wasn't too great.'

I'm supporting a 10.2.0.2 env on Linux, involving a 4-node RAC with matching DG. It's an OLTP db with app servers using connection pools, where I'll see unbalanced batches of connections coming in (2000 on 1 node, 80 on another), which eventually even out across the servers. I also see frequent "SELECT ... FOR UPDATE" statements.

I'm relatively new to this env and really struggle in getting details on how the apps are working, so when I saw the quote above from Martin I figured I'd jump at getting more details on other's experiences with this type of situation.

I think to start I'm just looking for issues you've run into, as again, I get very little detail out of the app team in terms of what they're doing and how things are configured.

I realize this is really directed towards Martin Bach, but I figured I'd post to the group in case anyone has a similar setup. I'm pretty much having to reverse engineer the whole app to know what's going on, which is such a treat. :-(

Thx.

Dave Herring  | DBA, Global Technology Services A c x i o m C o r p o r a t i o n
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com Service Desk: 888-243-4566, https://servicedesk.acxiom.com, GSCA_at_DNB.com