commit times

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:20:20 +0000

all

on another list we've being discussing commit times. During this discussion the following assertion was made by some who knows full well what they are about and yet which surprised me. The quote is in relation to a reasonably heavily used system that incurs log file sync waits of between 15 and 20s on average.

"At 17ms it had BETTER be an I/O problem. That sucks by the way - there's something horribly wrong if log file parallel write time is consistently
>3ms "

I've created a poll at http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/473207 for both log file sync and log file parallel write, I'm intrigued as to what typical figures actually are. I'd be grateful if you could take a moment to look at a statspack or equivalent report from your monitoring tool of choice and update the survey with your results.

cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA