Re: SAP on Oracle doubts

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:57:26 -0800

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 2:05 PM, goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> It still a puzzle for me that a company like SAP don't see as a necessary
> to improve things which obviously have flaws ... I have impression that at
> the very beginning of SAP, the programmer who didn't have any idea of DB
> loging mechanism (and many other possibilities), have found somewhere in
> docs authentication via OS ... was delighted of this feature how easy it is
> to implement ... and the rest is history ;-)

SAP was not written for an RDBMS - it was written for VSAM or even ISAM on IBM IIRC. That helps to explain the rather horrible structure of the data.

You are sure to enjoy the 5 letter acronyms for column names.

BTW, those acronyms are in German .

And have you heard of CLUSTER and POOL tables?

Can't use SQL on those...

Jared