Re: Minimize Performance Hit on Sort...Help!

From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:54:07 -0800 (PST)

You hit the nail on the head.  I think one of the biggest frustrations for users and analysts that I've seen is understanding growth and change in databases.  They sound like frustrated parents of children going through growth spurts, "but I just bought you those pants!  How could they be too small already and have to be taken to the tailor to be let out again!"  Many times the initial design of a table(s) are not how they are used in the end by the application logic or other groups find information useful and implement their code against this data as well, often times very differently than the original design took into consideration.  Developers and DBA's are left scrambling to adapt the design or code, sometimes it's frustrating when an original design is limited, though.  My main frustration is this is a design that has only been in place for less than a year and my manager, who is quite technically savvy will tell anyone, scalability was not thought about, so the main BI developer and I are redesigning the main databases almost from the ground up. This was designed by some brilliant folks, but I often feel like they gave them what they wanted, not what they needed, so we are stuck doing it twice because the time was taken to do it right...
OK, off my soapbox... :)
Kellyn

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il> Subject: Re: Minimize Performance Hit on Sort...Help! To: kjped1313_at_yahoo.com
Cc: "oracle Freelists" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2010, 4:41 AM

They may have been right when he made them. I had a talk with one developer today and they had a table that grew from 20,000 to 100,000 in one batch run.

I have seen systems that run fine at first, but after time a lot more data accumulated and the original sql had to be changed. Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Kellyn Pedersen wrote: