RE: Oracle client for Windows7

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:47:55 -0500

Andre,

Thanks for a good pointer. However, I was not able to use that feature as my CPU Intel 8200 series was not supporting 'virtulalization' so I have to buy and install 8400 series. After that I was able to install XP virtual machine. It is nice feature and that XP machine is fully licenced copy.

There is one utlity on MS site which checks the machine whether it supports XP virtual mode or not.

Regards

Rafiq

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:26:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Oracle client for Windows7
From: dreveewee_at_gmail.com
To: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org CC: tony_vanlingen_at_technologyonecorp.com; sbecker6925_at_gmail.com

if you have windows 7 professional or ultimate you might also consider installing and using the windows xp mode and run your client from there, https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

2010/2/9 M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>

I think non of Oracle database products certified on Windows 7. All Oracle software fails on prereq checks. Just click on check to see user verified message and then hit next. The software will be installed without any further issues. I installed 11gr1 software without any issues. I am using Windows 7 ultimate.

Regards
Rafiq

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 10:27:41 +1000
From: tony_vanlingen_at_TechnologyOneCorp.com To: sbecker6925_at_gmail.com
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Sandy,

Yes, we had the same problem, but on 64-bit. You need to use the 11g client for Windows 2008 Server - Windows7 is compatible only with W2008. Unpack the zip file and in the file ..\stage\prereq\client\refhost.xml you need to add these lines in the Cerfified Systems section , e.g. below the Vista entry:

<CERTIFIED_SYSTEMS>

    <!-- Microsoft Windows 7 -->
    <OPERATING_SYSTEM>
      <VERSION VALUE="6.1"/>
    </OPERATING_SYSTEM>
</CERTIFIED_SYSTEMS>:

Then the installer should work normally.

Note that this hack will work, but your installation is still not certified ;)

Cheers,
Tony

Around 9/02/2010 6:57 AM, Sandra Becker said: My new DBA was given a Windows7 32-bit pc. She has not been able to get an oracle client to install/work for her. She said she saw something that said to ignore the pre-req checks but it didn't work. I didn't hover while she tried so I don't have the exact message. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions? She needs the client in order for other software to work.

--
Sandy
Transzap, Inc.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/