Re: Oracle Support renewal

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:25:33 -0700

Be clear on the difference between "licenses" and "support".  You are
already licensed, so there is no need to get "new" licenses for the
same products, as licenses are typically "perpetual".

Support is not perpetual, and that is what you are renewing.  Separate, different thing altogether.  I've always understood that support is *always* 22% of list price (not the discounted license price), so it sounds like they're trying to flim-flam you by telling you the truth (i.e. "you'll have to pay 22% of list price!") without telling you you've always been paying 22% of list price.

Obviously, I could be mistaken, so be sure to ask very specific questions, such as "Why does ceasing to pay yearly ongoing support for product XYZ have anything to do with my perpetual licenses?"

Get a quote from them, in written form.  If they try to flim-flam you in a quote, then there is a legal term for that, which might be an entry point for legal action.

Bobak, Mark wrote:

Basically, it comes down to, if you want to drop stuff, feel free, but you’re still going to pay just as much money to Oracle.