Orion benchmark relationship IOPS v MBPS

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:37:37 +0000

I suspected we had performance problems with Disk I/O on server B. AWR stats indicated high response times. I therefore ran a fixed Orion benchmark against the server (and some others as well). I ran it against 2 disks and took the best figures from each run. I picked times when the server load was low and re-ran the tests several more times if I suspected that load was higher than other servers.

The backend XP4800 array was the same one in each case bar Server D where the array was remote to the server (in the other tests the server and SAN were on the same site).

The HBA throughput statistics were consistent to the IOPS measurement shown above for each server and HBAs were well balanced across each server.

I am comfortable we have a problem with disk I/O on server B but what I do not understand is why MPBS on server A and server B are almost the same and yet there is a 5fold increase in IOPS on server A.

The test is

 ./orion_hpux_ia64 -run advanced -write 40 -matrix basic -duration 120 -testname mytest -num_disks 2

Server A

Server B

Server C

Server D

MBPS 238

228

196

 188

IOPS 13220

2524

13196

10676

Latency

0.75

3.71

0.76

0.84

XP Array (local)

XP Array (local)

XP Array (local)

XP Array (remote)

Changing the write parameter for Orion to either 10% indicated the same relationship between servers with B performing much worse again.

Any help appreciated in explaining how I can test further or why the IOPS might be so bad on B and yet MBPS has remained roughly the same.

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.