Paging result sets (result cache)

From: LS Cheng <>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:59:18 +0100

We have used extensively rownum and inline view to page result sets in the past. But now I wonder if there are better choices.

Say a query returns 5000 rows and we need to page the results 50 by 50, for each paging the query has to be run again (stateless, the query approach). I wonder if 11g result cache would help in this situation? But considering the connections are stateless I really have doubts. If not does anyone know some efficient ways to page the results (some *new* ways)?