Re: If you allowed to keep only one book on Oracle - Which book it will be?

From: Carol Dacko <dackoc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:48:10 -0500

Dear Amit,

Why one? There are always "pearls" of wisdom that you can glean from many books that would not be contained in others. The amount and vast array of different information would be difficult to capture in any single title.

Here is a list of titles that comprise a very small part of my technical book shelf. These in particular were given to the developers here after I taught a beginning Oracle class. The most important thing about Oracle is that you should learn something new about Oracle all the time. Tom Kytes says it all the time. Many of us do it all the time. And you cannot get it all from a book. Here is that list:

On CD:
Oracle Concepts Manual - for each release Oracle Administration Guide - for each release Oracle Reference Manual - for each release Oracle Performance Tuning Guide - for each release PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference - for each release Installation guides for each platform that you support

Now my very, very, very short list of books (I have many, many others but these are essential):

Effective Oracle By Design – Tom Kyte, Oracle Press

Expert Oracle Database Architecture – Tom Kyte, Apress

Expert Oracle – Tom Kyte, Apress

Optimizing Oracle Performance – Cary Millsap with Jeff Holt, O’Reilly

Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals – Jonathan Lewis, Apress

Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus, Lex de Haan , Apress

Troubleshooting Oracle Performance – Christian Antognini , Apress

Oracle Wait Interface: A Practical Guide to Performance Diagnostics & Tuning, Oracle Press

Please note the authors and publisher.

Hope this helps. Also, just as a helpful hint. Can you please give a bit more content around your questions? It will assist us in providing you with a more precise answer.

Carol Dacko
University of Michigan