Re: Unable to remove ASM disks from ASMLIB

From: harel safra <harel.safra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:39:27 +0200

We had a similar issue with oracle 10g not closing the file handles on dropped disks. In our case we are using raw devices.

After making sure that the disks were indeed dropped we decided to remove the devices, ignoring the open files.
It didn't have any bad consequences. We have done so probably more than ten times and it always worked.

Harel

ב-26/01/2010, בשעה 23:54, Manmohan Jalsingh <mjalsingh_at_gmail.com> כתב/ה:

Hi,

Environment : ASM 11.1.0.7 on RHEL5. I am getting following error while trying to release the disks from ASMLIB. The disks have been already dropped from ASM diskgroup.

[root]# /etc/init.d/oracleasm deletedisk VOL0 Removing ASM disk "VOL0": [FAILED]

"Clearing disk header: oracleasm-write-label: Unable to open device "/dev/oracleasm/disks/VOL0": Device or resource busy failed Unable to clear disk "VOL0"

It seems that I may be hitting ASM bug 7225720 which states that some Oracle processes may still have these devices opened. I could resolve the issue by stopping the ASM as support has suggested, but I am hoping to find a solution with taking outage on production server.

Martin Meyer has mentioned a workaround on his blog http://martinmeyer.blogspot.com/2008/12/remove-asm-disk.html by creating and dropping a junk diskgroup on the dropped disks, but it didn't work for me. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and found any other workaround?

Thanks
Manmohan