Unable to remove ASM disks from ASMLIB

From: Manmohan Jalsingh <mjalsingh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:54:35 -0800

Hi,

Environment : ASM 11.1.0.7 on RHEL5. I am getting following error while trying to release the disks from ASMLIB. The disks have been already dropped from ASM diskgroup.

[root]# /etc/init.d/oracleasm deletedisk VOL0 Removing ASM disk "VOL0": [FAILED]

"Clearing disk header: oracleasm-write-label: Unable to open device "/dev/oracleasm/disks/VOL0": Device or resource busy failed Unable to clear disk "VOL0"

It seems that I may be hitting ASM bug 7225720 which states that some Oracle processes may still have these devices opened. I could resolve the issue by stopping the ASM as support has suggested, but I am hoping to find a solution with taking outage on production server.

Martin Meyer has mentioned a workaround on his blog http://martinmeyer.blogspot.com/2008/12/remove-asm-disk.html by creating and dropping a junk diskgroup on the dropped disks, but it didn't work for me. I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and found any other workaround?

Thanks
Manmohan