Re: Catalog RMAN backups on Tape?

From: Thomas Roach <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:42:55 -0500

Thanks to Robert, I was able to get the old entries.

I restored an old copy of the control file and then that had entries for what I needed. On another server I am going to restore the system tablespace, spfile, and the tablespace of the table I need to export. I will then export it and blow away the restored DB.

Please continue on with this conversation. Maybe I can try something with dbms_backup_restore with device type sbt?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Allen, Brandon <>wrote:

> Hi April,
> 1) Yes, you can with dbms_backup_restore Ė there have been a few
> mentions of that already on this thread
> 2) Yes, itís the MML layer that reads & writes to the tape
> a. Not sure about your second question if they are retrievable Ė
> maybe that was for the OP?
> 3) I donít put KEEP on anything, we manage retentions centrally in
> Netbackup here and I run crosscheck and delete expired on a monthly basis to
> prevent overgrowth of the RMAN catalog, but I also regularly backup my
> controlfile (autobackup in 9i+) and my recovery catalog so I have something
> to fall back on in case I accidentally delete the wrong records somehow.
> Regards,
> Brandon
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or
> attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not
> consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
> business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
> by it.

Thomas Roach