RE: Radiohead lyrics in Oracle RDBMS code

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:04:44 -0500

In our software, there is a series of event-based functions - i.e. our software sees that a particular event has occurred, and springs into action to resolve it. The developers may have refactored this to remove it, but for several years, those function calls were "Object.GoGoGadget_____" where ____ was the type of event. So, "GoGoGadget_DatabasePatch" and "GoGoGadget_ConfigureASM" were scattered all through the logs.

On a slightly related note, for years, even after Microsoft purchased Hotmail, you could do a host -l and get a list of all the DNS names under They were all really boring,, etc. etc., except for one server called

Or every Java class using the hex phrase "CAFEBABE" as its magic number.

I personally find it amusing when these things crop up. As long as it doesn't negatively impact the product (i.e. why not use Radiohead lyrics when you need a string?), I'm all for it.

Matthew Zito
Chief Scientist
GridApp Systems
P: 646-452-4090