Re: DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS and ASO

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:08:11 +0000

In message <7765c8971001250622w6456218bs62ad20c5a6ecb25_at_mail.gmail.com>, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> writes
>Hi all

>Does anyone know how DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS is populated? I'm
>prepared for the "of course not because then people could circumvent
>the tests" answer. In particular I'm interested in how Advanced
>Security (the licensable option) is detected since it appears from my
>tests that creating external users using windows authentication (CREATE
>USER "OPS$DOMAIN\USERNAME" IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;) will trigger the
>detection of ASO.

I looked into this a while ago. IIRC, local windows accounts don't trigger it, but domain accounts do. It seems to count as GLOBAL authentication.

There is a process which runs once a week or so which populates DFUS. I couldn't find out what it was so I had to wait a week between every stage of my testing. Needless to say I didn't take it very far.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited