Re: Catalog RMAN backups on Tape?

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:26:12 -0800 (PST)

You may not like the response from NB on this one. I know with Tivoli there is no alternate interface to get the files off of tape to disk if they went through the SBT interface (tried this about 6 months ago). NB may we be the same. You might open an SR with Oracle and see if they have any alternatives. I see references to a Metalink article called "How to catalog RMAN Tape backups" but the article has been pulled. I'd open an SR with them and NB ....

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows using VMWare!

From: Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com> To: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com> Cc: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Mon, January 25, 2010 12:45:24 PM
Subject: Re: Catalog RMAN backups on Tape?

Thanks Robert,

This is NetBackup 6.5 and Oracle 10.2.0.4.

I see the tapes as full in NB. I want to restore the RMAN backups to the file system where I can catalog them there, but I do not see how to do that because I cannot see the backups? I see regular backups, but Oracle seems to be treating differently and NB doesn't let you see them. Does anyone have experience with this? May have to reach out to NB with help on this one.

The catalog command does not support SBT devices (at least in 11g and 10g and I think going back forever). So you can't re-catalog the backup pieces. Also there is no guarantee that the tapes won't be marked as deleted on the catalog of the tape system, so you might have double trouble there.