RE: Basics on Advanced Queuing

From: Herald ten Dam <Herald.ten.Dam_at_superconsult.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:34:59 +0100

Hi,

I think you should start reading first the Oracle Manual for Advanced Queuing. It describes the basics but also the advanced stuff. Have a look at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e11013/toc.htm (This the 11.2 version).

Herald ten Dam
superconsult.nl

Van: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] namens Mahadevan, Sundar [Sundar.Mahadevan_at_bmo.com] Verzonden: woensdag 20 januari 2010 23:17 Aan: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Onderwerp: Basics on Advanced Queuing

Hi List,
Hope all is well. I am just starting to learn about Advanced Queuing. The following were the documents that I read to get a hint on Advanced Queuing.

Oracle 11g Advanced queuing white paper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_queue
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/oracle-guide/advanced-queues-and-streams-a-definition-in-plain-english-3677
http://www.oracle-developer.net/display.php?id=411

I searched more on google for basics on AQ but not much help. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the basic understanding of advanced queuing due to the fact that I cannot imagine how Message queues work (business logic). To my understanding, streams are used for replication while advanced queuing is used for Message queues. And btw, streams internally use AQ. The following are my question pertaining to Advanced Queuing(message queues):

  1. Is AQ happening between 2 databases or within a single database but 2 different schemas?
  2. Is it imperative that dblinks are created for AQ to work or you do not need dblinks for AQ to work(if AQ happens between 2 databases)
  3. If AQ happens within a single database but 2 different schemas then a grant all on the other user's objects can be used for message queues. So what is the idea here?

Apologies if my questions are silly. I would appreciate if anyone could reply back with the basics of AQ in simple terms and the business logic behind it.

Thanks a ton.