Re: oracle EE pricing

From: John Thompson <jhthomp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:14:53 -0600

We faced the same issues and instead of purchasing more licenses, we moved all of our Oracle database to Linux on commodity hardware. The architecture involves ASM, CRS (without RAC) which gives us HA. We got an immediate performance improvement with ASM and simply moving to a hardware platform with faster processors (Sun 4150's) vs. Sun 2900's. The price diff between the 4150 running Linux and the 2900 running Solaris was huge so we saved there also. After moving all of our databases off Solaris and the 2900's we ended up having fewer CPU's to license which allowed us to use the leftovers for growth.