Re: SEMI-OT: Cloning OEL4 and Oracle 10gR2 to VMWare

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:04:57 -0600 (CST)

> vmware server is also free and I believe will host those images quite
> happily.
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Well, almost. Apparently, the free standalone version of Converter is not
>> able to P2V Linux OSs to the free VMWare Playe

Host? Yes. Can be used as a destination for P2Ving a Linux box hot? No. Just tried it. It's not clear at all in the docs unless one knows the sublty in their terminology, but these are the only VMWare servers that the Converter tool will use to P2V a Linux box hot:

ESX Server 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0
ESXi 3.5 and 4.0 Embedded
VMware vCenter Server 2.0, 2.5 and 4.0

This doesn't seem like it should be this difficult. Perhaps I just need to pony up some cash to a vendor... ;)

Oh well. Enough ORACLE-L bandwidth spent. Thanks all for your answers!

Rich