RE: oracle EE pricing

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:55:26 -0500

Mark,

I agree 100% - lots of people have started to think that Oracle == Oracle EE when there are other options.

However, it's a real trade-off - for example, if you use SE, no data guard, no partitioning, no parallel query, no spatial support, no encryption.

With MySQL, you get all of those things. I think the consideration is sometimes not "do we need these things today" but "will we need them in the future". That's huge, as we all know, porting across database platforms is hugely complicated. Oracle has used this to their advantage many times.

So, people opt for the free/cheap option with more features than the Oracle equivalent.

Matt