RE: Dumb Developer tricks

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:15:50 -0500

Jared,

    Well it does something of the sort. I looked into the code & found:

pkg body fwd_lib

    Procedure transaction_commit is

        start_date date := NULL;
        start_time date := NULL;

 begin

    start_date := sysdate;
    start_time := sysdate;
    commit;
 end;
Procedure transaction_rollback is

        end_date date := NULL;
        end_time date := NULL;

 begin

    end_date := sysdate;
    end_time := sysdate;
    rollback;
 end;
end;

How much he/she charged is not in my pervue to know, and where he/she came from is also unknown.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 2:06 PM
To: Goulet, Richard
Subject: Re: Dumb Developer tricks

I dunno, could be a good idea.

It really depends on what they are doing in that stored procedure.

I've done something similar in the past, though I can't recall details at the moment.

Inserting a single row in an auditing table for instance.

It's kind of hard to be too judgmental about it without more background.

Jared

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:

        All,

                I'm going to start a new thread away from the Undo tablespace link because, well this is just dumb & I'm wondering how many others have heard similar things. BTW I've changed names to protect the guilty.

        Hello all,

          we had a meeting with Xxxx today about commit and rollback operation.

          Xxxx advices us to not use the default Oracle commit/rollback, but to use instead these two procedures :

  • FWD_LID.TRANSACTION_COMMIT
  • FWD_LIB.TRANSACION_ROLLBACK
         Goals of this procedure is to store in TRANSACTION_LOG table records about transaction performed.

         These records will be used when synchronisation will be performed between XXX online and XXX offline. It enables mechanism used to manage the synchronisation to prevent lost of data on long running synchronisation.

         So, now, each time a script that modified data must be executed, we must too use these two procedures to commit or rollback.

         Feel free to forward to other people that deals with transaction somewhere in development/database administration/...

	Dick Goulet
	Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
	PAREXEL International
	900 Chelmsford St, Suite 310
	Lowell, MA 01821
	978.614.2857
	Richard.Goulet_at_PAREXEL.COM

	The information transmitted in this communication is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please destroy any copies, contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.