Re: How to clear UNDOTBS

From: Kellyn Pedersen <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:14:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Enolvaldo,
I understand the frustration with an undo tablespace that is growing out of control.  When I see this and temp occurring and it's not due to number of transactions using these "work areas" of Oracle efficiently, I get a little obsessive, as it is a quick indicator when a database is working hard vs. smart in my book.

To save some typing, I'll point you towards OracleNerd with a shameless plug of the site, where I wrote a guest post on Undo and it might answer some questions for you-

It has a number of scripts that may help you out. Afterwards, you might find that you simply want to redirect your question to finding out what is using all the undo- is it actually correct use of the undo or is something just not right in the database.

Hope this helps,

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

From: Eriovaldo Andrietta <> Subject: How to clear UNDOTBS
To: "ORACLE-L" <> Date: Monday, January 18, 2010, 6:28 AM

I have an UNDOTBS that is growin up.
How can I do to clear it ?

I donīt need data that is there saved.
I can restart writting the UNDOTBS again.