RE: oracle EE pricing

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:14:32 -0500

Nigel,

    Well that's probably good for an economist (which I don't think you are), but in reality it just follows the old proverb, re-written for the times:

    There comes a time when you just shoot the investors and get on with the project.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

From: Nigel Thomas [mailto:nigel.cl.thomas_at_googlemail.com] Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:07 AM
To: Goulet, Richard; Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: oracle EE pricing

Dick wrote:
> why [does] Oracle place the cost of it's software as high as it
does...?

Dick:

It's a revenue maximisation thing and depends on the "price elasticity of demand <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand> ". Put the cost up a little, and most of the existing customers will pay the extra, but a small % will give up and move (and the number of new customers will decline slightly). The supplier aims to minimise the churn in various ways (some benign, some rather less so):

  • provide fantastic service/support
  • make the product better faster than the competition in some way (eg faster; support more data, etc)
  • bake in non-standard features so it's hard to switch
  • encourage the availability of a skills pool in the market

Potential hurners have to decide: shall I pay just a little extra or is it worth the one off cost of rewriting my apps so I can move to DB2/MySQL/whatever. Oracle has to try to choose the tipping point where they get the best net result.

Some businesses will spend extra to have inherently portable apps (which often then run like dogs, as often mentioned on this list - but that's another story).

Now, the remaining questions are just:

  1. how do the sums work out for your business (will you stay or will you go now) - that varies by organisation
  2. how do the sums work out for Oracle (ie, have they got the pricing right) - that's impossible for us to know, and pretty hard even for Oracle to be sure of

Cynical, but true. It's harder for Oracle to do this than (say) Amazon or a telco who can tailor their pricing from day to day or region to region to see what works best, then rapidly roll out to the wider market . Oracle's (list) price has to be pretty stable and transparent (not least for antitrust reasons)....

Regards Nigel